This past weekend we had the privilege of celebrating a special milestone with our friends, the Staddons! Their son David graduated from high school, and friends and family gathered for a time of sharing, special music (David is very musical, playing both piano and violin very well!), fellowship, and food.
(Thanks to James Staddon for taking this picture on his iPhone, despite poor lighting and other conditions)
Since the graduation was on Saturday, we arrived Friday evening which made for a fun time of visiting and meeting the Staddons’ other relatives who were in town. We arrived just in time for dinner, a bon-fire and smore’s (with a drizzle of rain and lots of mud!), and a fun game of “ultimate frisbee” with a football.
(James Staddon snapped this with his iPhone)
On Saturday we helped the Staddons prepare the house and get things ready for the graduation. Furniture was moved from kitchen and living room to accommodate 60+ people! David, along with some of his family members (and our David), prepared special music to play throughout the graduation – both violin and piano.
We were so blessed to see so many dear friends again! Robert and Kendalyn were there with their little girls Sauntina and Merilee. Many of the Staddons’ relatives were there, some having traveled long distances for the occasion, and others more local.
David shared some short and long term goals, and expressed his gratitude to family and friends for their investment in his life. Mr. and Mrs. Staddon shared about their journey of teaching/home education, and James (David’s brother) encouraged him to read and meditate on the Word of God.
Many hands made light work! Cheerful helpers worked together to make the day a huge success. There was fellowship, laughter, and games. Fun times!
Later that evening, rather the following morning sometime after 12 AM, Wilkes Teams 1, 2 (Josh & Lisa), and 3 (Matthew & Amanda) arrived from VA. While we waited for their arrival, we played games like Dutch Blitz, and Kings and Peasants… and ate cookies.
Other highlights from the week included…
– Playing games outside… ping-pong, there ain’t no bears out tonight, football, and volleyball.
– staying up *way* past our bedtimes, laughing and making fun memories together
– Cooking delicious meals, fellowshipping around the table, and washing dishes together
– A fun surprise for David Staddon after midnight, including a huge “hailstorm” of candy falling from the ceiling fans in the living room (those who had already gone to bed thought it was hail ).
– Special music for Sunday service by various members of the different families
– 40 people staying at the Staddons home (and overnight)… oh what fun it was!!!
– Keeping each other’s names straight… there were 3 Sarahs and 4 Davids …
– Holding babies – there were at least 5 “littles” at any one time, to play with or hold…
– Meeting new families – there were so many people at the graduation, and visiting throughout the weekend. It was a huge blessing to meet the Staddons’ different relatives, and other friends, and also to visit with our dear friends that we don’t see very often.
Thank you Staddons for having us! We so enjoyed our time in WV, fellowshipping and making memories. We can’t wait until next time, and look forward to future visits!!!